- All eligibility requirements apply from the time of application.
- Applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin and/or disability.
- Fulbright Canada awards are merit-based, and may be held concurrently with other awards and/or salaries.
- Be a Canadian citizen (Permanent residence is not sufficient).
- Hold a Ph.D. or equivalent professional/terminal degree as appropriate.
Candidates outside academia (e.g., professionals, artists) with recognized professional standing and substantial professional accomplishments.
- Be proficient in English.
- Be in compliance with all J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) guidelines.
- Be in compliance with all governmental regulations regarding visas, immigration, travel and residence.
Applicants must not:
- Be a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen.
- Hold permanent residency status in the United States.
- Reside in the United States.
- Have resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six year period immediately preceding the date of application.
A period of nine months or more during a calendar year is considered to constitute a full year abroad.
- Recent graduates with limited professional experience and graduate or doctoral students seeking funding to complete their degrees should visit the Fulbright Student Program.
- Where an award is open to early career or postdoctoral candidates, scholars may apply if they will complete the requirements for their doctoral (or equivalent) degree by February 1 in the year following the application deadline, unless otherwise specified in the award description.
- Grants shall not authorize engagement in pastoral, missionary, or other professional religious activities
- Grants shall not authorize activities for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required.
- Grantees must demonstrate sound physical and mental health. Finalists are required to submit a Medical History and Examination Report before their grants can be completed.
- Candidates who previously held a Fulbright Scholar grant should be aware that, as a general matter, preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Scholar grant. Previous Fulbright Scholar grantees are expected to make a strong case in their application for a repeat Fulbright grant.